Is there a better remedy for homesickness than something treasured from back home? For SixContest #101, we asked what you’d like to give or receive in your #SixWordCarePackage. The tradition that began as post-war relief has become a mainstay of summer camps and college campuses—care packages are especially valued by service members during their extended stints away from home (“A care package still bearing fruit.” —G_Austin*). Being away from loved ones reminds us what we value most (“Audio of our family’s uncontrollable laughter.” —@hikealot2014), and who doesn’t like being reminded that out-of-sight doesn’t mean out-of-mind (“A handwritten note, a cherished treasure.” —caralongwrites)?
Introducing our Top Six—sent special delivery:
6. “A family photo where everyone’s smiling.” —l8leigh
5. “Grandmom’s homemade pizzelles… arriving miraculously unbroken.” —liberata
4. “Sticky notes, quotes, and Nebraska leaves.” —SouthPorch
3. “Deployed to Afghanistan? Box of Reese’s.” —@mdewerth
2. “Apples have always tasted like home.” —knick-knack*
And the present that becomes priceless when you have to do without:
1. “Can you package a hot shower?” —catsmeow
*Check out the accompanying backstories—these writers show us that a simple care package can be a gift that lasts a lifetime.